IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Updated as of 5/22/2020
Greeting Parishioners of St. Matthias Parish:
It is with great joy that we announce that the beginning of the reopening schedule for our Parish. This is the tentative timeline:
Stage 1: Opening of Churches for private prayer and devotion. Funerals, Baptisms, Confessions and Weddings will be scheduled with strict guidelines. – May 27, 2020
Stage 2: Limited Celebrations of Daily Mass (No date has been set yet)
Stage 3: Limited Celebrations of Sunday Mass (No date has been set yet)
Stage 4: Celebration of First Holy Communion and Confirmation (No date has been set yet)
The commencement dates of stages 2,3, & 4 will be announced.
The upper church will be open Monday – Friday from 1PM – 3PM for private prayer and devotion only. However please be sure to follow this guideline to ensure the safety of all of our parishioners and clergy:
- Only 10 people will be allowed to enter for time period of 15 minutes per session.
- Use the proper marked doors for entry and exit of the church. Access to upper church will be through the school side via the gate by Pope John Paul II. Exit will be marked upon entry.
- Pews and floors have been marked for proper social distance norms. Areas have been designated for families, couples and individuals based on the required spacing. Designated area for prayer and devotion will be in front of Blessed Sacrament.
- We ask the elderly and all who are health-compromised to stay home.
- If you feel sick in any way you MUST stay home.
- Take your temperature before leaving your home, if it is over 100 degrees, stay home.
- There will be no holy water, bulletins, hymnals, missalettes and other worship aids available, please do not ask for them. These are items that can be a source of transmittal of the disease.
- You are required to wear a mask to enter the church. NO one should be in church without a mask.
- A restroom is open for emergency use only by one person at a time.
- Do NOT touch statues or other devotional objects in the church (including candles).
- Mass intentions can be made via email to email@example.com. Someone from the office will contact you in regards to the request. Payment for mass intentions will be accepted in checks made payable to “St. Matthias Church” in the memo state mass intentions along with a note with the dates confirmed via email by the parish staff member. Same principle is available for Wine & Hosts, Bells, and Sanctuary Lamps.
Funeral services will be permitted but are strictly limited to 10 people. Persons attending the funeral must be seated using social distancing norms (six feet apart) except for members of the same household and everyone must wear a mask or face covering. No procession into or out of the church. No worship aids will be distributed or used.
Baptisms will take place with social distancing guidelines being enforced and limited to 10 or fewer participants. These will be scheduled by the priest and approved by the Diocese (Office of the Chancellor).
Weddings will take place with social distancing guidelines being enforced and , at first, limited to 10 or fewer participants. These will be scheduled by the priest and approved by the Diocese (Office of the Chancellor).
Anointing of the Sick:
Anointing will be celebrated with the usual safety measures in place. Priest will wear mask and gloves. Any guidelines that are in place in hospitals or other institutions must be respected.
Confessions will take place with the priest and penitent both wearing masks and remaining at least six feet distant from one another. Confessions will be on Saturdays from 1PM -3PM weather permitting in front of the church.
Just a gentle reminder rectory is still closed. Should you call the rectory leave a message, someone will get back to you eventually. However feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org your questions, request and concerns. Our staff will be able to respond to you remotely via email.
We are enthusiastic about the reopening; however taking the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of our clergy, staff and parishioners. Thank you for helping us make this transition a safe one for everyone.
We continue to post Masses on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/
To view our live stream mass click on this tab – Live Stream Mass
We also have made an adjustment to the RECTORY office hours: Still – CLOSED
For information on how to donate online please click on the support us tab. Also if you would like to drop off your envelopes you can do so at the rectory mail slot.
Feel free to check the Tablet (see below for the link) for up to date information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
During this unprecedent time Catholic Charities, Diocese of Brooklyn is available to assist our parishioners in need. If you are in need of assistance, please call Catholic Charities Call Center (718) 722-6001 Monday to Friday from 9AM to 6PM. Catholic Charities is continuing operations, especially emergency food pantries and mental health clinics have the capacity for offering counseling over the phone.
CCBQ Census Update to Parishes
During this very difficult time, we sincerely hope and pray that you and your parish are doing well. This is being sent to you for a quick update on the 2020 Census, a very important tool of our democracy. It is expected to proceed although some of the timeline may have to be adjusted.
the easiest way to make sure residents are counted is through self-response online, by phone, or by
mail. Emergencies like the COVID-19 pandemic are precisely why
our government needs accurate census data. We must all do our part by
making sure we self-respond and encourage others in our networks to do so as
Residents can self-respond to the census online at www.my2020census.gov or speak to a Census worker live by dialing 844-330-2020 for English or 844-468-2020 for Spanish.
Below is a list of telephone numbers available
for other languages.
2020 CENSUS PHONE NUMBERS BY LANGUAGE:
- Spanish: (844) 468-2020
- Chinese (Mandarin): (844) 391-2020
- Chinese (Cantonese): (844) 398-2020
- Polish: (844) 479-2020
- English: (844) 330-2020